1.13.2010

Fashion Icons: Then & Now

We all have them. Those celebrities, musicians, and artists who influence our exterior decisions [what we wear, how we cut our hair, how thin or not-so-thin we should be]. I, personally, am very intrigued by fashion, and make it a point to look my best at all times [well...what I think is my best!]. For that reason, I have been influenced by a number of fashion icons over the years. There have been those who have come and gone [I was really influenced by some blonde girl who was really thin and had really short hair at the time, but now I cannot, for the life of me, remember her name]. And then there are those who have stuck around for quite a while, and who I now consider my fashion icons that will most likely influence many of my fashion decisions for life.

I like to think my fashion sense is a mix of classic figures and contemporary trends. For that reason, the lovely ladies below are some of my major fashion influences.

  1. Jackie O. One of the things I really took from Jackie was her extremely oversized sunglasses. For years I, myself, wore the largest sunglasses I could possibly find. (Note: be prepared for the comments!). I have since toned it down, but am thinking about bringing them back out, as I miss them dearly. (Who knew I would find my mind wandering to sunglasses every now and again?)
  2. Reese Witherspoon I have a secret. I've had a girl-crush on Reese since the very first time I saw her in Man on the Moon. To me, Reese is absolutely gorgeous in a girl-next-door sort of way. She's classy and timeless, but with a slight edge to keep her looking fresh and contemporary.
  3. Stacy London I am not a television-watcher, but I will not resist the urge to watch What Not to Wear on TLC. First of all, I just can't get over how unsavvy these folks are when it comes to fashion. Second of all, I am in awe every single time about how incredibly...right...Stacy and Clinton are about their fashion! And the rules are so simple! Follow the rules, people, and you, too, can look like you just stepped off the set of Elle magazine!
  4. Natalie I've gone back and forth with the idea of considering Natalie a fashion icon. Sometimes she goes a little too far out on a limb for me. But then I think about it, and that's what gives her such a charming personality! She has more of the edge, less of the traditional fashion, and that is the reason I consider her a fashion icon. She balances out all the classic, traditional icons I tend to lean towards.
  5. Audrey You didn't think I'd forget her, did you?? Audrey needs no explanation. She is, and will always be, a huge fashion icon for probably most of the population.
Now it's your turn! Who are your fashion icons? Are there musicians who influence your style? Artists? Celebrities - new and old? I'd love to hear who they are and why! Maybe I'll even start doing posts of your fashion icons and what they mean to you!

xoxo,

5 comments:

  1. I definitely have to agree with Reese and Stacey...they are on my list too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Audrey. Class and beauty personified! And Jackie O, too. Just awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My girl crush is Scarlett Johansen. Just crazy gorgeous and I love her vintage style! And not to mention- Best. Figure. Evur.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love Scarlett too!!! That's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh...I'm not sure I even thought about this! I'm pretty low maintenance...so I'd have to go with some one with a clean, classic style :)

    Congrats on your treasury making the front page this morning. I tried to get a screen shot, but I wasn't able to on my work computer!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin